Route up to the Furka Pass
Did not think a couple of weeks ago that we would be heading back up the Furka Pass again so soon. So what was different this time
- A strong head wind shortly after leaving Gletsch which was with us all day. Made the the top section after Belvedere a bit of a brute
- The section up to Gletsch much easier than we thought it would be. Nice ride up past the river. Great views through a small tunnel of the Grimsel Pass hairpins. Really glad we had chosen to do it this way and not sit on the bus.
- Much more relaxed trip:
- Visited tourist information at Gletsch and enjoyed being shown old photos when the glacier used to come down into the valley
- Had a coffee at the Belvedere like good day trippers. Looked at the source of the Rhone from a viewing platform near the cafe
- We stopped more on the way down to look around and enjoy the experience.
- Stopped just past Realp for a bowl of soup and beer
- Enjoyed riding through the old center of Hopental
- Nice ride past the golf course into Andermatt, bypassing the main road.
- Sitting on the upstairs terrace at the Hotel Aurora enjoying the afternoon sun on some recliners, sipping coke and thinking about our day
- Great pizza, beers and salad
Click on play below to see a video of our ride and screenshow of our photos
Link to detailed route page and map click on route title