Mountains on West Side of Lake Luzern – viewpoint from near Sisikon
Woke up this morning to mist hanging over the valley, and thankfully cooler temperatures which is why I probably had a good night’s sleep. No hurry to get out as we wanted the sun to burn off some of the mist first.
Where we are staying has a small kitchen and seating area so we decided on a DIY breakfast as well as a couple of croissants and coffee from a local bakery. Will probably have a picnic for dinner tonight as well.
Decided on a clockwise trip round Lake Luzern to Kussnacht, from there we crossed over a small ridge under the shadow of Mt Rigi to get to Lake Zug. Cycled down the Western shore to Arth, then another short climb before cycling round the Eastern shore of Lake Lauerz and then back up the hillside to Schwyz
Highlights of today
- First and foremost has to be sitting in a bar this evening with a lovely glass of white wine watching Pogacar totally blow away Roglic in the final stage of the TdF. Fantastic ride. Elation to see him ride so well and real sadness to see Roglic not be able to hold on to the yellow jersey on the last real day of racing. I really liked Pogacar commenting that this was a whole team effort to recon the ride so he knew exactly where to accelerate / brake etc on each turn. So happy I got to see this.
- Then to our much smaller accomplishments:
- The ride from Brunnen to Gersau and Vitznau was on a great road, little traffic, and lots of fun to ride whilst looking at the lakes, cliff outcrops, and small villages along the shore. Exactly what I dreamed the ride should be like with lots of small ups and downs and able to maintain a good cadence to speed us on the downs.
- Chestnut filled pastry at an Italian cafe outside Vitznau overlooking the lake, seeing a group of guys turn up for their lunch in various small fishing boats
- Inland pastures on the slopes above Weggis, totally different scenery from being by the lake.
- Lunch on the lake by Kussnacht watching the ducks, grebes and swans squabble and feed on the weeds.
- Beautiful quiet ride down the side of Lake Zug to Arth where we found a bakery in the shadows of a lovely church for another coffee and pastrY.
- Telling jokes to each other as we rode along about left arf, right afr … rivals the jokes about cows going on holiday to Bellinzona.
- Getting caught in a rain shower as we went shopping for dinner! Press play below for a screenshow of our photos from both day rides and below that a video of our ride
Link to detailed route page and map click on route title
- Distance 58.00 km
- Time 2 h 53 min
- Speed 4.0 km/h
- Min altitude 413 m
- Peak 526 m
- Climb 694 m
- Descent 694 m